Thursday, October 25, 2007

Commonly asked questions!

So, many of you have emailed and asked questions regarding Singapore, and how Larry and I are finding it. I'll try to answer them, and if you have anymore, feel free to ask in the comments section and I'll answer those too.

Here goes:

What's the weather like?

Well, it's HOT. Pretty much everyday, all day. This is the rainy season, and it's a little more cloudy than when not in the rainy season, and when it rains, it's a good, strong downpour. But even during the rainy season, it's been really pretty and sunny a lot of the time. Singapore is close to the equator, so it's always tropical. There are no defined seasons, just warm, muggy and usually sunny.

What's the language?

The national language is English. Singapore was under British rule unill the 1960's, so there is still a strong influence. There are many nationalities and cultures however, so most of the locals speak with an accent. The most prevelant is chinese, malay, and indian. Everyone speaks english as well, and all the signage is in english. I've noticed that if someone can't quite understand you, they are very willing and eager to try and get it. I'm still having a hard time understanding people on the phone that call, or even the cab drivers, but it's getting easier. There is also a slang, called Singlish, and it's like this: "Got stapler or not, lend one minute,can?" They also say Lah at the end of a lot of greetings, like "hello-lah". Kinda cool, eh?

What's the food like? Grocery stores?

Food is a BIG deal in Singapore, like shopping, it's the thing to do. Because of the diverse culture, there is every kind of food. Chinese, Japanese, indian, vietnamese, english, american, italian...pretty much everything. I haven't seen a mexican resturant yet, but we did go to a Tapas place the other night that was super yummy. There is fast food here too, Mcdonald's, Burger king, pizza hut, kentucky friend chicken. I haven't been to any of these places, just seems kinda silly when there are sooooo many other cool things to try. Starbuck's is here (of course) and it's pretty popular. Seems like most of the American fast foods are here, except for Taco Bell ( which is probably the only one I would go to, from time to time....ha!)
Hawker stands are big here, they are typicaly a group of resturants, arranged ina a large circle, like a food court. Food here is pretty cheap, and it's mostly Asian, and sometimes indian. My favorite thing from the hawker stands so far is one f the most popular dishes in Singapore. It's called Chicken rice. Sounds boring, but it is super yummy....it's a mound of rice, that is slightly sticky ( not like japanse sticky, just a little bit) and delicately flavored with garlic and chicken broth. It is then topped with a portion of fire roasted chicken, chopped up with a huge, scary looking cleaver. It's topped with green onions, and served with tomatoes and cucumbers, usually. It also comes with a clear chicken broth. You can get a 'set' as it is called for 3.00...which in Singapore standards is pretty cheap. Another favorite Singapore dish is called Chilli crab. Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard it's crazy good, and I'll be sure to give my review when I try it! I also love roti prata, this super yummy indian bread...kinda like a pancake....I'll be right back, I think I need some....
Grocery stores here are called "cold storages". The expat store, close to our house is very nice, and stocks a lot of stuff we are familar with. Larry can get his diet dr. pepper and pickles. It's is pretty expensive though, so we usually go to a store called Giant, once a month and stock up on meat, bread, and basics. Then I go to the expat market for veggies and fruit, and soda for Lar, as needed. Giant reminds me of an Asian Meijers...it's HUGE, and sells everything from car parts to food. It's a lot cheaper.
Some things I've missed so far are vernor's, and pretzels....haha...neither is a known quantity here. I could get a bag of pretzels at the expat store, but it would cost about 9.00. But, lucky girl that I am, Debbie just sent me a big bag, so I'm good for a while, and I will make them last! I wish I would have brought my seasonings too, as many of the things I use aren't available. However, I AM REALLY GLAD I brought my giant salt and pepper grinders from costco that everyone made fun of me for. I love them, and they make me happy!! so there! ha!!

Do you have a Car in Sing?

Nope, Lar and I do not. We walk, take the MRT (subway) or cabs. Driving here is a little dicey, as they drive on the opposite side, and kinda through rules out the window. Motorcyles and scooters are big here, and they shoot up next to you, not taking a whole space. It's a little scary, still taking me some getting use to. Cars are also very, very expensive, and you have to pay for the option of even buying a car. As Singapore is a pretty wealthy country, I've seen some pretty snazzy cars...porche, lamborgini, BMW, are all pretty common. I think I even saw a Lotus espirit. (name that movie)

Are Holidays celebrated?

Yes. Seems like everytime I turn around, and I've only been here a month, there is a holiday being celebrated. With so many cultures and religions, you can imagine. I've heard Christmas is big here, but in a non denominational sense. It's more about commerce and the flash and glitter of the season. Chinese new year is also huge, and I'm really looking forward to checking it out. Halloween is celebrated in the expat neighborhoods, and I'll probably pass out something if we get any little trick or treaters. There are a few kids in our complex, so we'll see.

What's with the No gum chewing law?

One of the weirder laws in Sing is there is no gum chewing. The fine is a few hundred dollars if you are caught, and you can't bring it into the country, nor is it sold. I like to challange authority however, and brought some in my suitcase. It can also be mailed, as Deb sent some, and I had sent some to Lar before I got here. As long as you do it in your own home, and not on the streets, it's fine. And I feel like a real bad ass when I'm at my computer, chomping away.
The laws and rules here are pretty strict, and crime is very low. Drugs are not tolerated, and death is the penalty if you are caught with them. Smoking is allowed, but not in resturants, lines, or the subway. Litering is a big no-no, and the city is very clean.

Do you have a housekeeper?

Um...NO. We could, as it is fairly inexpensive, but it's not mine or Lar's style. Our apartment does have maids quarters, but I can't imagine anyone living in them. The room is tiny and non air conditioned. We use it to store our suitcases, just to give you a perspective. I like to clean and cook, and all that jazz, so I do it all.

What's the t.v like there?

There are many of the american shows on cable, but they seem to be a season behind. Which I actually don't mind, becasue since I was at school most nights I missed a lot of shows. It's been fun getting back in to them a little. Animal shows are big here, as are the discovery channels. There is an Asian food network, but since I doubt I'll be making fish head curry for 12 anytime soon, I don't watch it much. I do miss that....I always had that on in the states!

And finally an answer to the most asked question...

Maybe,possibly, probably, who knows, no promises, and not for a few years. (wink!)


K, I think I answered most of the questions, keep em comin!

Big hugs! miss y'all!
xoxoxoxo!


Eating with my hands!! Indian food....soooo hot and spicy, we LOVE it!


Messy, but super fun!! and no plates, just a banana leaf!


Sangrias at the Tapas resturant...yummo!

Tapas....great place for a date.


Sweets are a BIG deal here...I think I may have wet my pants.....


We showed great restaint and bought one candy bar to share...and it was GOOD!!! ha!

8 comments:

venitha said...

Hang in there, Pam! I'm no longer in Singapore and no longer blogging, but I'm happy to answer questions, and I can definitely put you in touch with some fun expats in Singapore. Feel free to mail me at manterv@yahoo.com. I'll read through your blog when I get a spare moment - a new baby doesn't leave much free time! For now, I'm still laughing about your being a hairstylist - I could sure have used you when I was there! I think a good 25% of my blog was whining about my frizzy hair. =)

venitha from Singapore Adventure

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! The food looks awesome and why bother with american fast food junk when you can have allllll of that! How much is a flight to the Sing? I would come just to eat! :^)
Lori

Anonymous said...

what do you mean in your answer to the most asked question, maybe, who knows, in a few years (wink)

Pam said...

who asked that question?

Anonymous said...

Well it wasn't me !
love,
MOM

PS sounds like sommeone at the Dews house!

Pam said...

It was Lar, thinking he was soooo funny......

Anonymous said...

Hi! I came across your blog by accident. I'm a Singaporean and it's really hilarious to read about what what non-Singaporeans perceive of Singapore, especially the chewing gum ban.

If I may use your blog to set the record straight -

Consumption of chewing gum is *not* prohibited in Singapore.

Excerpt from Wikipedia -
"The chewing gum ban in Singapore was enacted in 1992 and revised in 2004. It bans the import and sale of chewing gum in Singapore. Since 2004, chewing gum of therapeutic value has been allowed into Singapore following the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement (USS-FTA)."

So there you go, we did back down.

Pam said...

Thanks Hannah, for setting me straight. Anything else I have wrong? That was written when I first got here, I have a little different perception of things now. Any recommendations or suggestions? feel free to email me. pgrulich@aol.com