Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Christmas!!




Hi everyone!  I hope you are all having a wonderful holiday!  It's December 23rd, and as I write this, it is about 98 degrees, rainy, with the sun fighting to shine through.  I haven't posted in a while ( 10 days as my mother so kindly reminded me today).  We've been keeping busy, just living the life, as Larry says.  He switched his hours again to second shift, and will go in around 11, and be home around 10 pm. We celebrated Christmas with a few Boeing people last night.  We went to a Japanese restaurant, had sushi and sashimi, and a few other fish, chicken and rice dishes, with green tea ice cream for dessert. I love sushi, but am a newbie when is comes to the raw stuff.  I did pretty good, and only gagged and politely reached for a napkin once. Not sure which piece I didn't like, I just know it had a weird texture, and it got the better of me.  Our companions acted like they didn't notice.  Ha!  Larry and I opened our presents from my parents, as well as each other, and enjoyed all of our loot. 
Christmas in Sing has been different to say the least.  I've been fighting a pretty bad case of homesickness this past week or two, and with the warm weather, it's been a challenge to be my normal holiday frantic, jolly self.  I've been reluctant to post about it, or even tell anyone, because really, who wants to hear from a newly married woman that won the love lottery, moved to a beautiful tropical country, is retired for the moment, gets to travel all over the place, that she is homesick?  Puuaallese....No one.  Believe me, I am fully aware people have real problems. So I was loathe to post about something that seemed, a little, well, shallow.  As I was crying the other day, thinking about going to get the Christmas tree with my dad, I suddenly heard my Grams voice in my head  "OHFERGODSAKE!!! quit your boo-hooing and get over it!!"  Warm and fuzzy, she was not, just a practical midwestern farm girl. Hearing her voice, which after a few years of her being gone, now sounds in my head like a mix between Harvey Firestein, and the woman cop in Fargo, I came to the conclusion that I can feel crappy about this for a bit, as long as I realize just how good we have it.  I do.  We both have our health, each other, and our families are doing well, we live in a groovy place, and get to do and see things most people only dream about.  So, missing everyone and everything from home is one thing, whining about it is another.  
Things are just different. By this time, in the states, I would have probably seen It's a wonderful life 15 times, eaten about a pound of my dad's fudge (yes, I'm serious, and not the least bit shameful) I would have shopped for my family and friends, and would probably be running to walgreens right now for tape or something to finish wrapping.  I would have gone to a few parties, helped Jimeyer with his gingerbread party (helping 12-15 kids, strung out on sugar construct a full gingerbread house in 3 hours) shoveled several inches of snow, and gone to pick out a tree with my dad, riding in the yukon, base bumping the latest itunes purchase.  I would have distracted my mom as I snuck yet another of her raspberries butter cookies, and we would have both gotten a little teary eyed as we decorated the tree and looked at the angel ornaments that remind us of Debby.  I'd be helping my parents get ready for the annual Christmas eve party, getting the last of my cards in the mail, had several colds from being run down, and generally doing what we all do during the holidays. We are doing things differently this year.  First of all, we're married.  Hello! Big change.  Second, we're going to Bali (another reason I didn't want to publicly whine) on December 24th.  I've been dying to go since before I even got here. Larry does an impression of me talking about Bali that he thinks is accurate.  It's not.  It is funny though, I should try to get him to do it on the video camera, and post it. So, instead of the usual christmas activities with our families, we'll be spending Christmas day on the backs of elephants, cruising through the rain forest.  Um....who's life is this?? Just some chick's that is lucky in life, and love. So, no more whining, or boo-hooing.   I have you all in my hearts, and I am counting the days till I come home for a visit (approx. 129)  Thank you all for the wonderful support and love you have given both Larry and I as we enjoy this crazy adventure.
Merry Christmas everyone, we love and miss you all so much it hurts! Be safe, happy and enjoy the little moments, that's what matters the most anyway.
And look for a bazillion fabulous pictures from The Snapper when we return!
xoxoxo
Pam

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bali?!? Riding elephants through the rain forest? How cool!

I understand the homesickness though, too. It must be so freaking weird to be away from everything and everyone familiar. But enjoy every minute of your adventure. I'll be thinking of you!

I miss you! Merry Christmas!

Love,
Mo

Anonymous said...

glad to see you updated your blog.
Merry Christmas. xoxox Andy

Anonymous said...

Loved your post Pam, made me cry a bit, about you and Dad and the tree and fudge and Debby tree. We miss you so much! I keep wondering where the hell you are and why aren't you helping us! Ha-ha Miss you !love you!

Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam!

I had a butter cookie in your honor. It was fantastic! It was lime flavored and quite yummy! Good news--your Dad won a cookie shooter in the Christmas Eve grab bag.

Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Pammy, your blog is so awesome!! I love to read it, it makes you feel so much closer. That's probably why i haven't written like i should (my bad). Happy New Year!! I miss you!!!! Jules

Anonymous said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR ! ! !
I want to send you some SNOW ah yeah we have enough to share !

Debbie said...

Must. Have. More. Posts.
please.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

DITTO WHAT DEBBIE SAID ! COME ON POST SOMETHING!