Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fruit Of The Month

I saw this idea on another Singapore blog, and thought I'd try and do it too.  Each month I'll feature a fruit that we don't usually see in the states.  This month's selection is the Dragon Fruit, or the Pitaya. I went to my favorite wet market with a new friend I met in our building, named Belinda. She's from the UK.  She brought her Ama (nanny) and baby, and we had a fun time.  She really liked "my" wet market, and next week, we are trying hers.  
The Ama; Lolly, was really knowledgeable about the tropical fruits, that I typically avoid, just because I don't know what the heck they are.  She bought a dragon fruit, and I asked her what it was.  She went on to explain it's kinda like a kiwi, and you peel the crazy looking skin like an orange.  Belinda said that they have been making the most delicious  smoothies with it, and I should try it.  She also said the color was "most amazing".  I was NOT prepared.  The girl who sold me my dragon fruit also, in the typical, straightforward, no holds barred, way of Singaopreans, explained how to peel it, and said it was good for "cleaning the intestines" and my favorite; "don't be alarmed if the toilet is pink"  Lovely!  All this was said with a straight face, and I think my immature giggles were irritating her.  They definitely don't hold back here in Sing...like the very kind man that said to me in the grocery store " You have a big body!" Um....really?  Thanks Captain Obvious.  It seems they have a thought, and just say it, no filters here...I am used to it now, and actually look forward to the refreshing honesty I am occasionally thrown.
Anyway, back to the fruit.  I decided to make Larry and I a smoothie the next day, and like the cute little newlywed I am, still get up with him in the mornings for work.  I hear this changes...I've tried to mentally prepare Larry.  But for now, as I'm not working, I like to get up, and help get him rolling.  I was in the kitchen, peeling the fruit, and in my sleepy, no coffee yet, 6 am haze, I couldn't believe my eyes! The fruit was the most beautiful shocking hot pink color I've ever seen!  I was amazed....and ran with the fruit into Larry's bathroom to show him.  He was sleepy too, but tried to muster up some enthusiasm and agreed it was a pretty cool color. The smoothies turned out yummy, and we both really liked it.  The recipe is below.  I know I've seen dragon fruit in the states, so if you see it, and are feeling adventurous, give it a try!  The color alone is worth it!  Check this out too, pretty interesting!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_fruit



DRAGON FRUIT SMOOTHIES

  • 1 dragon fruit, peeled, and cut into big chunks.  Cut an end, and peel down, like an orange.
  • 2 frozen bananas, peeled, and cut into little chunks.
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt (any yogurt would work)
  • approximately 1/2 cup milk, more or less, depending on how thick you like it.
  • 2 or 3 packets of splenda.  The dragon fruit itself isn't very sweet.  I thought it needed a little kick, but you can omit this if you want.   
Blend it all up in the blender, and Voila...breakfast is served!  Let me know if you try it!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds really good! I wonder if they sell them in the states!

Anonymous said...

it looks a tad bit freakish...

Janet

Anonymous said...

No thanks. Not my style. I try to never eat any food that is bright pink in color.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
I've been reading Sing blogs for over a year now and just found yours. I really like it. I moved here in December and seem to be discovering many of the things you have. I found pretzels at the Market in Tanglin Mall and thought of you. I have been considering trying some of the unfamiliar fruits - not Durian - this one looks great. I will have to give it a try. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!