Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Fruit Of The Month



Hi everyone!
The fruit of the month for March is the Passion fruit, or Markisa.  You've probably got a beauty product in your house that smells like it, but I doubt most of you have ever seen one in person. I know I ever had, before moving here.  When the fruit is just picked, it's actually kind of pretty, it's a firm, round purplish fruit, but when you let it ripen, it gets all wrinkly and brown, like my feet after being in the pool too long.  Like with most new fruits and veggies here, I never know what I'm gonna get, and I'm usually stunned into silence for a few minutes.  When I went to cut into the passion fruit, I had to use the serrated knife, and almost saw it open.  Then the wonderful smell hit me...a cross between a lemon, grapefruit and kiwi, it smells amazing!  But then I opened it....and a bunch of gelatinous seeds spilled out.  So weird, but strangely delicious. I didn't know what to do with it, so I threw it into a smoothie, and fed it to the bear I awakened from hibernation (Larry, on night shift...scary stuff, that!)  it was yummy, and it's one of my favorite new breakfasts.  So, if you happen to see some, give it a try!  Passion fruit, not just for beauty products anymore!



2 comments:

Debbie said...

Isn't it wrong that a Passion fruit looks like a shriveled testicle?!
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

The pink picture looks like a little uterus... hmmmmm, may be hard for me to eat, ever!
Amy