Thursday, March 13, 2008

Poony Puff

In my last post I mentioned I was making Poony Puff for the barbecue we are having this weekend.  I had a comment for Bonnie, in Texas, asking what the heck it was.  Basically, it's an ambrosia salad, and surely; no picnic or barbecue is complete without that, right?  This is a special recipe though, made famous by my sister, Debby.  Her nickname was Poonybug (hey, what can I say, my parents are slightly weird), and since she would make this all the time, we dubbed it Poony Puff.  It's a lovely shade of green, so it might be a nice addition to your St. Patrick's day dinner. Larry and I are looking forward to his office mates from Sing trying it, and their reactions!  ha!  Hey, I had to try fish head curry, they have to try the Puff! 

Speaking of St. Patrick's day, along with green beer, corned beef, irish freckle bread (add that to the list, mom!) and now perhaps Poony Puff, it also marks the anniversary of Debby being gone. It's twelve years since her death, and somedays it feels like yesterday.  I didn't believe it when it happened, but time truly does make a difference.  It does NOT make it better, just different. She is still a huge part of our family, and is remembered every day.  Sometimes in big ways, like by sharing a story, or sometimes just a nod and a smile as I hear one of her favorite songs.  She still touches so many lives, and I am always amazed she still has that effect.  I just heard from an old friend of hers from High School, and he shared with me how profound her friendship was in his life.  That's such a gift.  It's hard not to think "what if".  But as time has moved on, and I have matured, and figured out my own spirituality, and role in the world, it's a little easier to accept it.  Believe me, I still have moments of anger, and sadness, when all I want is to call her on the phone, but stuff happens for a reason, and she was over that part of her life, ready to move on.  A favorite line from one of my favorite movies; Fried Green Tomatoes:  "Miss Ruth was a lady, and ladies always know when to leave a party."  That sums up Deb perfectly.
So, when you're out this weekend, yucking it up and enjoying a green beer, raise your glass to the Poony Bug!


Poony Puff

  
  1 9 ounce container   cool whip                          
  1 cup   small marshmallows                 
  1 package (9 oz.)   pistachio instant pudding          
  1 can (16 oz.)   crushed pineapple                  
  1/2 cup   chopped pecans                     
  1/2 cup   maraschino cherries; halved  ( and in memory of Deb, stuff as many cherries in your mouth as you can, and try to act normal, while eating them)
 
Whip Cool Whip, pudding, and pineapple until smooth. Add pecans, cherries and marshmallows. Let stand in refrigerator for 45 minutes to an hour.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bug has been gone 12 years, I know it seems much longer but it's 12. 3/17/1996 now I'll go make some puff.
Love, MOM

Pam said...

I changed it.

Anonymous said...

OMG, ok #1 that made me cry at how much love is in your family. So sweet.
#2 We totally make this every year at Christmas and call it red and green salad. Love it.

I will change the name to Poony Puff and will make some this weekend!

Anonymous said...

Well, i certainly will lift a beer (or 2, or 3 or 4) in Deb's memory and maybe i'll even let Hannah Deborah have a sip to toast her too! :) Don't tell Meme!!! :) Maybe we'll make Poony Puff a tradition of ours too.