Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sing Songs

Happy Wednesday! Hope everyone is doing well, and staying warm (Michigan and Utah peeps, you too, Texas!) Not much is happening here, it's been a quiet past week. Larry had to rotate his schedule again, and is working nights (poor buckaroo) so, we've been sticking around the nest, and laying low for a bit. We rearranged the living room, feng shui-ed our bedroom, and went to Ikea for another chair (yes, again....ugh!) We are getting the house ready for this weekend, when we have Larry's work people over for a barbecue. Like my parents always say, you have a big party, so stuff gets done around the place! It looks good and we are officially ready for visitors, so come one, come all! We'd love to have you, we have the space, and we'll have a blast!

So, one of the questions posed from the contest was about music...what is it like, what is available, etc. I have found that it really depends on what area I am in. If I am in Chinatown, or at my wet market, I tend to hear a lot of traditional Chinese music. Likewise if I am in little India, etc. The radio stations are very much like what we have in the states. All the popular stuff makes it's way over here eventually. There seems to be a fair amount of what I like to think of as shmaltzy-cheesey 70's love song stations. And for some inexplicable reason,
The Carpenters are HUGE here. I know a few native Singaporeans read this blog, as well as fellow expats. Do any of you know why this is the case? I'd love to know, so if you know the scoop, feel free to leave a comment. It seems like every time I get in a cab, walk into a store, or go anywhere, The Carpenters are crooning about longing to be close....Larry loves when I lip sync along, and look adoringly into his eyes....ok, not really, he usually tries to ignore me, or seriously considers throwing me out of a speeding cab. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good ooey gooey love song like the rest of us, but seriously? It's all the time. It cracks me up. I have heard the local music scene thrives, but I haven't gone to see any yet. And we frequently get large, well known bands that come through to do concerts. Last weekend, Harry Connick Jr. was here, and Maroon 5 is coming in a few weeks. I have recently discovered itunes, after getting a shuffle for Christmas, and man oh man, is that fun! I love shopping for music! I limit myself though, it can add up quickly. I just added "we've only just begun".

This weekend is the annual Women's Weekend at
Chalfonte House. I have only missed one other year since I started going in 1996. It's always a spiritual, and emotional shot in the arm for me, and I am really missing not going this year. I hope all of my ladies I go with have a great time, recharge, and relax. Oh, and eat a thin mint cookie for me. Who is gonna do Jim's make-up?

I have the dates for our home leave, email me if you want em! It's coming up quick! woohoo!

Ok, I'm off to go marinate a bunch of lamb and make 5 lbs of Poony Puff for the party.
Love and miss you all!
xoxoxo

3 comments:

david santos said...

Hello, Pam!
Thanks for your posting and have a good day. I loved this blog.

Anonymous said...

Im scared to ask but what is Poony Puff? Is that a Sing thing or a Michigan thing?

Anonymous said...

I am so making the poony puff for this weekend! I will head to the local wet mart ( ok Meijer's) and get all the goods & poof away!

Thanks for the story> Love it!

Janet