Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Gecko Poop, and other fun things about living in the tropics....

I've resisted posting about this for a while....I feared if I dared to post it to the world, the problem would persist, or get worse. I can no longer stay silent.

I found a gecko poop the other day. In the house.

There, I said it. I may be tempting fate, but I feel the need to give a full representation of life in Sing. Like my house, I must come clean. There are gecko, lizards, and snakes. They occasionally enter the house. So far, I've only encountered a few geckos, in our house and that one giant size iguana at the bird park. I realize they are tiny, harmless creatures, and my size and appearance scares them way more than they scare me. I know they have their own very important role in the eco-system. They eat the bad bugs that cause disease. But still. Yuck. Lar finds this endlessly amusing, and my tell tale shrieks delight him. He finds the way I flatten myself against a wall, if I see one, hilarious. I'm sure if he saw the way I enter the kitchen at night, a la The Charlie's Angels, throwing my hair in first, and crouched down, he'd practically split his pants from laughing. I also realize that given the area we live in we are very lucky we only see the little guys occasionally. The complex we live in is very proactive on critter issues. They spray monthly, and come into our apartment to do 'something' to the drains. I fear it may have something to do with bugs or snakes, so I don't ask. Am I being a big wimp? Probably. Do I care? Not even a little. I can handle a lot, but like my dear friend, Reverend James L. Meyer (Jimeyer, one word) says; "I don't live with bugs." Amen, Father.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great picture of you! I love it. I like the new settings, very nice!
Love,
MOM

Pam said...

Thanks! It's slowly but surely getting there!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam.

You should join the GGA, now that you have come clean about your new visitors. The Global Gecko Association (GGA) is dedicated to gecko enthusiasts worldwide. Membership is open to anyone with an interest in gekkonids, from the professional herpetologist to the hobbyist. Did you name your gecko?
Love,
Mary

Pam said...

Yes, I named him "GETTHEHELLOUTTAMYHOUSE"
xoxo
Pam

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam,
If you could send me those extra critters my kids would love it! Sophia has been begging for a snake for at least two years (she'll tell anyone it's been three) and Nic wants either gecko's or chameleons. So put them in a package with a little food and we'll take them. YUK!
Hey wouldn't the snake eat the geckos?
HMMM
Lori

Gina Marie said...

Hi Pam! Saw your comment on my blog. I see you've been making the rounds on "what to do in Singapore!" Sorry no one told you that geckos come with the territory. As I write one is peering curiously down at me. We have a huge one in our house right now we call Big Jake. You do get used to them. They're not so bad as long as they don't do things like jump out of your silverware drawer. The poop is annoying though.

Have you been to the little baking store on Bencoolen? It's just around the corner from Sim Lim Square. It's amazing! And so cheap. I can't remember the name, but it's a little past the Burger King.