Sunday, November 11, 2007

One Month

I've been in sing 5 weeks...and the time has flown. I just looked at the calendar, and can't believe the date. We've seen and done a lot already, and I know for myself, I have to keep telling myself that we live here and we don't have to cram everything in on one weekend. Much as happened. My dad had toe surgery, my mom had more knee problems, my friends Maureen and Joel had a beautiful baby girl. Deb gained 4 pounds, and increased her PFT score (can I get a whoop whoop??) My hair buddies have graduated, and are moving on. I've looked at pictures from home and missed you all so much it aches. I've been homesick 3 times, emailed my dad to come get me once, rode the subway alone once so far (more this week!) eaten chicken rice 4 times, burned dinner twice (getting used to cooking with gas, and a convection oven) Gotten lost in Mustafa's (The Burler's of Singapore) twice. Worked out and walked more in 5 weeks, than I have in 3 years. Stuck my big toe in the China sea. Argued with Lar once ( over something dumb, not even sure what now) Shopped for, and wrapped all our Christmas presents for family. Fallen more in love with Lar than I thought possible. Gotten used to the heat, and learned the hard way to drink water, before, during and after being outside. I've gotten sunburned twice. Craved Coney dogs and greek salads twice, and vernors more times than I can count. Scared by a gecko twice, and an iguana once ( that's more than enough) been fascinated by the bats that fly around at dusk, eating all the bugs (they are BIG, and fly lower here, it seems) I've also fallen in love with the light, right before dusk, and one of my favorite things is laying in our bedroom with Larry, enjoying the silence, looking out our window at the "gloaming". It is different here, and all the greens and golds seem to glow from within for a brief few moments. Truly lovely, and I know I will miss it when we leave. I haven't posted in a while, and I feel like I need to catch up. Larry is back in the states this week, so I will post often. I'm also trying to figure out how to post groovy slide shows, like Joel has on their blog:(www.journeyofhopekurth.blogspot.com/) Along with moving to a new country, these 5 weeks have also been about living with my hubby for the first time. So, here is my David Letterman top 10 on living with Larry.

10. He frequently bellows "Wife!" as a greeting, or if he can't find me. This has morphed in the 5 weeks to include nick names: yifus, sugar, etc. rarely my given name. Remember, it is also in a thick Texas accent. This is especially fun in large stores or in crowds.

9. He's a snuggler (sorry for calling you out, Babes). If he can't find me in our king size bed, he'll pat around (usually my head or stomach...oof!) until he finds me, then pulls me towards him, and falls back asleep. I may grumble, but I secretly love it. Sshh....

8. He's occasionally cranky in the morning, but usually full of piss and vinegar after his shower. I know it's gonna be a doozy of a day when he comes bounding into the kitchen, nude, and holding his towel. He'll root around in the gadget drawer till he finds a chip clip, wraps himself up, fastens the clip, grabs me for a quick smooch, sometimes a wise crack, then is off to start his day. This often leaves me bewildered, especially if I was in the process of making my morning coffee, not actually drinking it.

7. He's a neat freak, I am a clean freak. Two very different things.

6. He loves pickles and cheese almost as much as he loves me....ask him at the right moment, and it might even be more.

5. He's tolerant of my naivete and goofiness about Singapore. He even occasionally thinks it's cute. He's often amazed at me for "being a girl" but I think he secretly digs it. Don't tell him I told you.

4. He has a knack for decorating ,and is deeply creative with his photography.

3. He is fearless about trying new things, food or experiences. This is one of the things that first hooked me, but it's even more apparent now that we live together. He's a hoot to experience things with...he has a "kid on christmas morning" look every now and then that just slays me. It's a gift, and I'm learning to be in the moment with him.

2. He makes me coffee if he gets up first, and has learned the hard way to feed me, or else. I think I'll keep him.

And the number 1 thing about Lar after 8 months of marriage, and 5 weeks living in the same country....

1. Chicken tacos fear him. There are usually no survivors, and it's ugly. (Mo, he and Hope will get alone great!)

More tomorrow! I miss you guys! and you too my Hubby!
xoxoxo
Pam

I reverted back to my "secret single behavior" now that Lar is out of town... popcorn for dinner! My Grams would be proud! thanks for the jiffy pop Deb, it was fun, and yummy!

No comments: