Monday, November 12, 2007

Sentosa and the Wet Market

Last weekend, Larry and I went to an island that is also part of Singapore, called Sentosa. It's kind of a resort type place, very touristy, but fun. That's where the beaches are, and underwater world, dolphin lagoon, etc. It was a hoot...we rode the cable car over, and for a simple gal like myself, that was treat enough! ha! I was soooo excited! but then we got to do one of my favorite things...look at underwater life, up close. I love that kind of stuff. Lar was in heaven, taking a million pictures ( good thing he shoots digital!) We have a digital camera that can go under water too, so that was fun for me ( it's the point and shoot). They have a Sting Ray pool, and you can touch them, feed them, etc. They were super friendly and personable. They were pretty rowdy too, it was a hoot. Lar stuck the camera right in the pool, and got some good shots. One of my favorite moments was when a man asked Lar if the camera was waterproof....um.....yeah. We cracked up to each other, and said, "gee, no, it's not, we're just dumb tourists!" In all fairness, I think he was just amazed it could go in the water, and was trying to start a conversation. Still funny though. The aquarium is actually a big underwater tunnel, so the fish are all around you, really cool. After that, we went to the dolphin lagoon by bus. I'll try to describe the bus...it was jammed with too many people to start with, and as always, it was HOT. There were seats lining the walls of the bus, but then a row of handles to hang onto. Lar and I got stuck with the handles, which is no big deal, becasue we ride the subway a lot. It's different in a bus, a lot more room to swing, especially on curvy roads. Just as the doors were closing, about 20 more people crammed in, all around Larry and I. We think they were Vietnamese, or at least that was the language they were speaking. They were all very tiny, and very loudly and excitedly talking and gesturing about Lar and I. I just caught Lar's eye, and we both started giggling. It was just such a mind blow....barreling down a curvy road, in an Asian country, hanging on for dear life, and being the hot topic of conversation. I said "Let's just take a moment, and soak in where we are". Truly, it was a hoot....
The dolphin presentation was pretty cool, and we plan on going back to swim with the dolphins, maybe for our anniversary in March.
After Larry left for Seattle, I met a woman he works with at one of the local wet markets. They sell fresh veggies and fruits, as well as meats and fish. It was pretty neat. It was the first day of Deepavali ( I found out what it is!...Hindu new year!) so we went to a Indian temple, and right next to it was a Buddist temple ( that sums up Sing perfectly) both were beautiful, and busy with people praying, lighting insence, and rubbing the big Budda ( of course I did!) Lydia and I had breakfast at the hawker stands (I had noodles and chicken...for breakfast! ha!) Then we walked around, and she showed me all over that area, which is called Bugis. She was telling me that in the 1970's, it was a big area for transvestites, and they'd put on shows on the roof tops. I'm gonna do more research on it, and find out more...I love that stuff! ha! Actually Sing is a big place for sex changes, but more on that in a different post. It was a nice morning, and I think I've finally found a buddy to do stuff with occasionally.
I went to a party on Saturday for Deepavali at another woman's house that Lar works with, Anu. In typical Pam fashion, I didn't want to go...I wouldn't know anyone, I didn't know the area. yada yada yada. But it scared the crap out of me, so I knew I had to go. It was a BLAST! Anu was a wonderful host, and her family and others from Boeing were a fun, lively bunch. And the food was off the hook....true indian food, home made. Sooooo good! And our plates didn't stay empty long, it was funny....I complimented Anu on the food, and she said " to really show me you liked it, you have to have 2 or 3 helpings!" She was serious! ha! I did my best....I live to please, you know. It was a really nice night, and I'm glad I went.
Lar is doing good in Seattle, and having a nice time seeing Ryan and Annbella. He did the big list we had for Target....I was a little jealous, but as I said this morning, if I had been doing the shopping, there would have been lots of stuff in the cart that wasn't on the list, so it was probably a good thing.
More soon...miss and love you all!
xoxo
Pam


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam, it's Tracy, I love reading your blog and the fact that everything is going so well for the 2 of you!!!! btw--which internet site did you meet Larry on....maybe there is hope for me yet!!!!lol

hugs,
tracy
xoxoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,
We love your blog too - especially the funny descriptions of your daily events and the fabulous slide shows! Try to enjoy every minute of this amazing experience - we miss you but we're so happy for you & Larry.
Terri & Louie

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam!

It's Trish. I'm constantly amazed by this entire experience. I swear I feel like I'm living it with you. You're really good at blogging! And the pictures are fantastic. That chicken rice sounds really yummy! And there so much going on with you. It's hard to believe you've been gone for over a month! But, you clearly look happy, and that's the best part. Your eyes sparkle in the photos, and I don't think it's just the flash. Keep writing, we're all living through you!

Love ya!!!