Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dreaming Of Sari's

 
This past month we have been celebrating Deepavali in Little India.  It is the Hindi New Year. Called the "Festival of Lights," where the lights or lamps signify victory of good over the evil within every human being, light versus dark.  Deepavali is celebrated on the new moon day (approx fifteenth day) of the month.  I was here for it last year, but knew very little about it. This year, I did a little research, and having been here a year and bumming around little india all the time, I really enjoyed it.  Little India is by far my favorite part of Singapore.  I say it a million times when I'm down there, how comfortable I am, how "real" this part of town is, ect. I love how it swirls around me in a haze of color and aroma, overwhelming my senses, and making me wonder just how many yards of fabric I would need for a sari of my own.  I actually have one(thanks Deb!!), but I left it in Michigan.  You see, I have always had a fascination with the Indian culture.  I think it's highly likely I lived there in a past life.   I can't get enough of the food, smiling people and sense of peace that comes over me when I am there.  I love strolling along, looking in the jewelry store windows,  admiring the sari's and sidestepping a fresh load of flower garlands being delivered.  The smell of curry and other spices wafting from the stalls and shops intoxicates me.  I also love that I am not so much an oddity in little india as I am in other parts of Sing.  Big healthy girls like myself are looked at as a sign of prosperity.  I can actually find clothes to fit me here, and I love to stock up on the indian blouses that line the streets for the tourists. When I am asked where I am from by the shop keepers, and I say that I am from America, but I live here...this always delights them, and they ask if I've had my lunch, would I like to buy some gold, and did I need a good tailor?  Then they ask if I like it here, and their eyes light up when I say I do.  They are proud of their little community, and it shows.  One of my great hopes in being over here is to be able to get to India.  I just have this burning need to see the real thing for myself.  I'm trying to talk Larry into taking a quick, weekend trip to Agra to see the Taj Mahal.  We'll see if we get there...and if we do, I'll have my sari all ready to go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your use of visual synecdoche to give us a whole picture of Little India during this festive time.

Pam said...

HAHAHAHA!!! Good one Sarah!! You must be pretty smart if you use such big words!

cajunsis said...

I must say I like seeing it through your eyes. I love the colors there and open markets, but I am not nearly as impressed with the people and culture as you are. Maybe I am walking on the wrong street... rofl... I must try again.