Wednesday, August 13, 2008

More Amsterdam



So, since Larry was in Amsterdam for work, we were invited to a dinner with his associates.  I wasn't going to go (contrary to popular belief, I do not know everything, and my aviation knowledge is limited), but Lar convinced me there would be little "shop talk" and it would be fun. Boy am I glad I went.  Ok, you all know I love food.  I love to cook, I love to try new things, I read about food, research food, dream about food, and try often times in vain NOT to eat food.  I make food to show love, and I come from a long, distinguished  line of family cooks.  Restaurants are fine, but make me a home cooked meal, and I'm a happy girl.  So, when we went to this teeny tiny italian restaurant , tucked away in a historic canal house, I really wasn't expecting much.  It was a old "brown bar" which means the walls are yellowish and brown from smoke. These places are now considered historic, and the owners are not allowed to restore or change anything, only keep it up.  Larry, Kevin and I were the first ones there, and I was very skeptical, but figured "hey, it's gonna be fine..."    I very much underestimated.  I am going on record here as saying it was the best meal I have ever had.  Now, coming from me, knowing my family, you may think, "yeah Pam, your last meal was the best meal you ever had"  (Kinda like Mary).  But really it was.  The restaurant is owned by an Italian family that moved to Amsterdam about 20 years ago, and they run a tiny, six burner restaurant.  The mom is the hostess, and dessert maker (oh. my. gosh.) and Franco is the head waiter, stand up comic, and commander of all.  If you order something he thinks isn't just right, he will correct you.  The menu was in Dutch, so he translated from dutch to italian to english.  He was a delight, and took great pride in making sure were comfortable, well fed, and that the wine and lemoncello were flowing.  His brother, was the head chef, and only popped his head up from the kitchen once to bark orders to Franco, who made a face behind his back, and muttered something in italian.  Our hosts, Larry's work associates form the Amsterdam office were so excited to bring us to this place, they could barely contain themselves.  They tried to suggest things on the menu, but gave up and said, "Just eat, everything is good!"  So, Franco recommended a ravioli appetizer, where were were able to try several different kinds of their homemade (that morning!) ravioli.  We eat tried one of each, and it was so, so good.  And I know homemade ravioli....my parents make them at Christmas.  These were right up there.  The we had ceviche of beef, and zucchini(that's what I had, Aims!), which means the food is marinated and "cooked" in lemon and olive oil, with fresh herbs.  It was delicious, and fresh.  The company was wonderful too, and the conversations was rowdy, funny, and we whiled away the time, letting our food settle and meld with the delicious wine.  Kevin, my 32 year old chinese son, did well keeping up with the rowdy dutch, and we all enjoyed shocking him with funny stories.  After a long intermission, we ordered out main courses.  Since the kitchen is so small, and everything is made from scratch (pasta too) our table of 7 was only allowed to order 4 different dishes, we could all get a dish, just some of us had to order the same.  I had one of my very favorites, carbonarra, as did Larry.  It was so delish...even better than mine!  and I think I have my recipe perfected!  ha!  Dinner was so good, and the carbs were a flowing!  I didn't think I could squeeze in dessert, but our hosts said we
absolutely had to try it.  They highly recommend the creme carmel, but I had to be different, and I had the lemoncello mouse, with fresh strawberries and basil. Sooooo stinkin good!!  Larry and I had agreed to order different things, then switch halfway through....but I reneged.  Mine was too good.  Larry was generous enough to let me try his creme carmel though, and it was really good.  I think  he's still pissed about it though (big grin). And did I mention that I love lemoncello?   It was a wonderful night, I'm so glad I went.
To back track a little...we went on a tour to the Delph pottery factory and Madurodam on Thursday with Kevin.  As we were leaving the tour, we started talking to an American family from Colorado, and the thirteen year old son asked Larry and I if Kevin was our son.  We pretty much doubled over at that one...and Kevin was a good sport, and called me "Ma" the rest of the trip.  Larry said "well, there ya go, you've always wanted to be a mother".  Indeed...I just didn't know he'd be 32 and Chinese.  
On Friday, we went outside of the city to a small town that hosts a weekly "cheese market".  It was a tour, so after that, they whizzed us to the windmills and a wooden shoe factory.  Even though it was slightly too quick for us, it was still fun, and we really loved the weather and being so close to the windmills.  The cheese wasn't bad either!  The wooden shoe factory was really interesting, and deserves it's own post.  Just a teaser: there are RED shoes involved.

No comments: