Sunday, August 10, 2008

We're back! And Gone Again Too!





Hi Everyone! We are back from a week in Amsterdam! It was sooooo much fun! Seriously a great city. Larry was there for work, and I went to roam around and check stuff out. Larry and I had to fly separate airlines, but we met up at the airport, and along with Kevin, Larry's associate (and apparently my son...more on that later!) and we made it to our hotel. It was early Sunday morning in Amsterdam, so we crashed for a few hours before checking stuff out. We went for a yummy brunch, right across the street from our hotel, to a little pancake house, secluded in a canal park. It was yummy, the day was perfect (70 degrees, breezy and sunny). We got out my handy dandy guide book (seriously, I wore that thing out), and decided the first thing we'd do was go to the Anne Frank House. Because we didn't yet know our way around much, and didn't know how easy it was to jump on the tram, we hoofed it. It was a nice walk, we took the canals, and just enjoyed seeing all the pretty boats. We did our best not to get run over by Amsterdam's "Silent Killer" the bicycle. I read in my book that there are 6 million bikes in amsterdam....I believe it...everyone rode...young, old, tourists. There are 720,000 residents of Amsterdam, 16 million in all of Holland, and it's half the size of Maine. (all this info is from a chatty tour guide) There are 172 different cultures...isn't that mind blowing? Dutch is the main language but most people speak English, if that's how you greet them. By the time we left, we had both picked up a few words, and could say hello, goodbye and thank you.Anyway...back to the Anne Frank House. There was a bit of a line, but we soon got in, and it was well worth the wait. I had read The Diary Of Anne Frank as a 8th grader. It was number one on my list of things to see in Amsterdam. Most of the furniture was removed when the family was found during the occupation, but the secret bookcase was still there, and you actually had to climb through it, and up really steep stairs to the annex. Making that journey was so surreal...I mean..I had read about it as a kid...and Anne's words made me feel like I was with her, but to actually do it....just amazing. I entered a room, looked around, and realized I was in her room, the one she shared with Franz Hubert, where she did most of her writing. The shock was on my face when Larry looked at me. He said " what's up, Babe?" and I just shook my head and started to tear up. I had no words for what I was feeling. When we left the house, and were taking a break in a nearby park, I could better describe to him what I was feeling. When I was in the house, it was just awe that I was seeing her space, saddness from reading all the accounts, seeing her writings, and her dad's markings of her and her sisters heights on a wall. Then when we left, and I had a minute to compose myself, bald faced shock that I was actually in Anne Frank's house... As a bratty 13 year old, I never in a million years thought I would ever get the chance to see where she lived. More tears, a baffled Larry (I explained now I was happy...keep up, Mister!) Happy tears, that this crazy ass life I have has brought me here. I think Lar got it...he tends to run deep on childhood stuff, and he gets when I'm blown away about realizing dreams or wishes. (me=lucky beeotch) Anyway, I think he could do without all the blubbering, but hey, that's part of the pamalicious package. After that, we wandered around and found our way to central station (one little ticket, and I coulda been on my way to Paris!!) We hopped the tram back to our part of town, and went and did the obligatory Hard Rock visit. After that long day,we staggered back to our room, exhausted and ready for a good rest. Larry had to work Monday morning, so we got everything ready for that, then crashed.Two of my all time favorite books are about independent women, that set out to travel alone. I admire their bravery, their moxie, their ablity to pack light(ha...four suitcases is not that bad...) And though I travel alone all the time, I never thought of myself in the same light. In Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert, she gives herself permission to do whatever she wants: "Liz, what do you want to do today"? then does it...no guilt, no worry about what needs to get done at home. I took this approach in Amsterdam. I did some research before, bought a guidebook, figured out the city map, and made friends with the concierge. I set out each morning, after a quite breakfast in the lounge, reading the paper from cover to cover, drinking tea, and mentally preparing myself to "let go". In the book Without Reservations, Alice Steinbach explores Europe in the same way...how ever and when ever she wants, doing things that make her happy and teaching herself to live in the moment. I made a list of all the things I wanted to see and do, them did them! Wow! what a revelation, eh? Spend a day at the Van Gogh museum? Sure! Walk along the canals and get a little lost? Sure! Have Pome Fritte for lunch? Sure! Find the store that only sells toothbrushes? Sure! Go to the floating flower market for tulip bulbs? Sure! Buy Annabella fuzzy wooden clog slippers? Sure! Buy fruit, cheese and bread and have a picnic in the park? Sure! Each day, I got a little better at living in the moment, and enjoying my time alone in Amsterdam. By Wednesday, when Larry and I decided to extend the trip and go on a few tours, I felt like I had done everything I had wanted in the city. I knew my way around, and (I'm embarrassed to say this...) I actually know how to read a map a whole lot better. I relaxed into the rhythm of vacation, and didn't freak out if I missed a tram, or had to walk back from where I came and start over on the map. I asked directions, took the time to chat with people, and soaked up Amsterdam. It was wonderful....it's a gorgeous city, the canals are surprisingly clean, and people are very kind. The weather was beautiful...a little warmer than usual, and everywhere you turned you could hear "Warm genoeg voor ya?". A few days, it was in the high 60's, and seriously, Larry and I were like little kids...sooooo happy! It warmed up to the 80's and 90's by the time we left, but the humidity was still way lower than Singapore.Here is few slideshows...more tomorrow. I have to hit the hay. Tomorrow is National Day in Singapore, (like our 4th of July) and I'm going to the parade with my friend Lydia. Larry is in China for the Olympics...check out the boys blog! Looks like they are having a blast!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

clueless & confused? Is Larry at the Olympics ??

LOVE THE PICS & BLOG!

I wanna be you Pam !

favorite cuzzzz

Janet

Debbie said...

Looved hearing about the trip, it looks absolutley beautiful there. I can't beleive all there is to do and see. Your pics are great too!
xoxoxo

... said...

Your trips sounds amazing! I'm so glad you seized thne moment and just did your thing! Good for you! I loved the picture of the tulip bulbs. I wish I would've gotten some when I was there.

Btw, I did reply to your e-mail awhile ago about where to go. I hope you got it.

Love,
Mo

Pam said...

Janet:
Yep, Lar is in China for the Olympics. He made the sprinting team! Go Lar, GO! Ok, not really....he's a spectator. He goes with his twin and uncle...he's having a blast!

Mo-Mo,
I did get your email about what to see and do, and I am sooo sorry I didn't write back...shame on me! will email you soon...oh, and love the new do! tres chic!!
love ,
Pam

cajunsis said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

How beautiful! Love, love, love the pictures!