Sunday, August 31, 2008

The New Guy.


We finally did it.  After talking, ruminating, planning, and figuring out the details of getting a pet in a foreign country, we are proud to announce the addition of (insert name here).  He is a 3.5 year old stray that we adopted from the SPCA.  He's never had a home, let alone humans, so he is a little skittish.  He's not used to negotiating corners, doors, the sound of Larry brushing his teeth, so every new thing is a challenge for him.  We spent the first 24 hours carting his well fed furiness into rooms, because he was only happy if he was with us, and he wouldn't walk, just cower at our legs. We got him on friday night, and he's just now starting to explore and check out his new digs. Larry and I went today to get him some stuff, like a littler box, a few toys, and an elaborate scratching post that Larry deemed "perfect".  I was leaning towards the cheaper, no frills one, but his furry new son will only have the best.
Going to the shelter was a sobering experience.  It's an outdoor enclosure, and it's fairly well run.  But still.  All those poor animals that need a home!  We almost brought 2 cats home, but the adoption counselor said the cat we had chosen "didn't play well with others".  I hope this doesn't mean he runs with scissors as well.  We chose him because he was older, was getting close to his last days in the shelter, and seemed sweet and calm.  He's been super sweet so far, and seems to prefer Larry to me (it's a gonad thing, I was told).  He's happiest when he is on one of our laps, and he yells if he can't see us.  
What pushed us over the edge to get one was that I was talking to Sarah, another friend I recently met, and she said she'd watch him when we travel.  That was pretty much all I needed, and Larry was close behind.  Aside from the first hard days, he is a sweet, lovable guy, and I almost can't remember when he wasn't here.
Speaking of buddies, I've been having a blast with Euvah and Sarah...I see many good times, and loads of trouble ahead for us.  AND!!!  Drum-roll please!  I was invited to join a bookclub!  To say I am excited and happy is an understatement.  I miss my bookclub in Michigan soooo much. Thanks Sarah for the invite!  Yippie!!!
Hope you're all doing good!  miss you!
xoxo
Pam
p.s. any ideas for blog posts?  I'm in a bit of a rut....Oh, and name ideas too! (no Mom, I'm not naming him Milton.)


20 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOOh I cannot wait to meet him. He looks like such a darling. I'm almost anxious for you to take a trip! He is soooo cute. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Nello???
Greg????
Corny???
Sherman?
Sheldon?
Bob?????

Love,
Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

Wow he is really cute! You picked a purrfect one! How about Ralph, Cody, Sam, Dali, Phoey, Pho-Pho, Magic, Purrcy, Nipper, Meow-man, Mr. Meowgee, Meow-mein, Sing, Bo, Bo-ing, Hairy Purrer, Purrfessor Snipe, Noodle, Pat? Do I get a present if you pick one of these names?

Anonymous said...

those names from the real Mary are dumb.
Aunt Mary again.

monkey girl said...

Congrats! We adopted two dogs while we were in Singapore too. It was the best decision we've ever made!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

How about Meow-Ming?

Anonymous said...

awwww he is so cute! Jill was looking at him and said he looked like our old cat Sweet Pumpkin.
How about Big Red? Thats is one healthy cat!

Anonymous said...

BIG RED??? Who said that, Grandma Schuler?

Anonymous said...

No other name than Pickles will do !!

or perhaps Valasic??

Janet

Anonymous said...

I always wanted a cat named Oliver

You like??

Janet

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam,

Larry might like these names: Ranger, Tiger, Star or Homer. How about General Meow?

Anonymous said...

How about taco?

Anonymous said...

Hey real Mary!
Tiger??? how original??
Boy how did you think of THAT?

Anonymous said...

Hey name that kitty Pou? Or whatever that goofy soup that you love so much is called?

Anonymous said...

My question is ... How loud does Larry brush his teeth? Isn't it usually a quiet type of activity??

This cute cat looks like it has a orange patches under his nose so maybe call him " I need a Kleenex"

or keeping with the Orange theme just call him
"Crush" !

Anonymous said...

Well, I've sent you my list and read all these suggestions but I keep looking at his picture and he might just be "sweetie boy" or "baby". Or even "Romeo" because he really gets your heart doesn't he?

Anonymous said...

Or...with that little mustache-perhaps he is Poirot.
I'll stop now-I promise!!

cajunsis said...

Honey, Apollo, Felix, Drake, Draco, Ziggy, Garfield, Milo, Ringo, Merlin, Rambo, Rags, Tippy, Snuggles, Patches, Oscar, Fitz, Lucky, Sing (as in Singapore), Cheddar, Taz, Gizmo, Rocky... I guess I can go on and on. What is his personality like?

Anonymous said...

As "BIG FRANK" goes, so goes life.
He shall be Frank Furry...Done!

Anonymous said...

What ???? Frank Furry ?? Ugh, how about Karl??