Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas!!


Merry Christmas!  It is Dec. 25th, and not a creature is stirring.  Larry is napping, and frank is snoring in his suitcase bed.  We're enjoying a quiet day at home, might watch a movie,dip extravaganza (various dips...yeah, we're excited), opening presents, and having my famous pasta carbonarra for dinner.  There may be wine involved too...and perhaps some chocolate.  It is Christmas, after all.  Larry had to work on Christmas eve, so I joined my friends Sarah and Tommy for dinner and drinks in Chinatown.  It was a hoot and a half.  Tommy called Larry at work with updates on our whereabouts and what we were doing, and even though he wasn't with us, I think he felt like part of the fun.
We are going to an island called Batam tomorrow for one night.  It is a 35 min ferry ride from Sing, and we're staying at the Turi Beach resort (sorry Deb...don't hate).  A friend of mine has a villa on the island as well, so we are going to see them on saturday, and visit them at their place.  We're really looking forward to it.  
Christmas is very different this year, compared to last years slightly dreary one.  I'm glad I put the tree up, and only had one bad day of homesickness and tears (sorry Babe!)  I think staying busy was the key, and just finally realizing that this is our reality, and to make the best of it. Missing family and friends goes with being an expat.  If I am ever asked to give a new expat advice, it will be that.  Expect it to suck a little.  But also be open to the wonderful experiences and new friendship that can come into your lives.  It's a pretty amazing thing.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all of you.  You are deeply missed and loved!  
XOXOXOXO
Pam and Larry and Frank




p.s. the fudge and shortbread cookies I made both turned out perfect!  I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

whats with the cat in the suitcase???

Anonymous said...

I think Frank is telling you something. You will have to remind him that if he leaves the country, he will have to come back and go to prison for a month!! BooHiss
Merry Merry Christmas.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Frank looks so cute , he is a world traveler I see...

Turi Beach Resort looks fab.. swim up pool bar?? Need you say more??
Merry Christmas to you & your men Pam! ( Larry & Frank)

Have a great time.. we are freezzin here.. up to our A#* in snow..
Have a Sing Sling & enjoy the warmth!

Janet , Brian , Paul and Daniel

Debbie said...

WHY is Frank laying on the Kermit blankie??? That is blasphemy!!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and have a great trip!

Love,
Mary

Kate said...

I tried to follow you but I don't understand how....

Anonymous said...

post please!