Sunday, July 6, 2008

Oooh Aahhh!


I didn't expect to get homesick on July 4th.
Not because I discounted it as a holiday, I just figured that I was still riding the comfortable wave of being home for 2 months.  I saw a lot of friends and family, so I thought I was safe.  I had the occasional twinge this week, as my entire family, and the extended circle that comprises the people we go to Ludington with were enjoying the annual week in Ludington.  It's on the west side of the state (get your "handy" map of michigan out....got it?  Okay, it's the top part of the pinkie).  This is the first year since I was a baby that I missed it. (there were a few years in my 20's that I could only make it up for a day or two, due to jobs).  We've been going for 36 years.  The group now includes first, second and third generations of families.  It's kinda neat to think I have known the kids in my generation for as long as I've been alive, and now, getting to know their babies, it's pretty awesome.  It's at a resort (I use that term VERY loosely) that is a bunch of cabins.  I think at last count it was about 75 people, but I may be off on that. There is a ribfest, 30 years and going strong, pub crawl, euchre tournament, wonderful, long lazy days on lake michigan, and all the family togetherness you can stand.  Hi-jinx and silliness are a requirement. It's a sun burned,sand in your bathing suit, full tummy, laughing with old friends, euchre playing blast.
Like many things in life, such as grief, taxes and christmas shopping, the homesick bug snuck up and bit me on my big 'ol butt.  It wasn't as bad as it has been this past year, but it was there.
So, trying to be proactive, and jump all over that sneaky little bug and stomp it into a gooey mess, I suggested we have a barbecue for some of Larry's american work people.  No one was available....soooo, plan B found us searching the internet for local festivities.  The American Association of Singapore was hosting a party at the naval base for all american families.  It was free, and had bands, tons of american food (Louie, I had a freakin hot dog!!), even Jerry's Memphis Barbecue of Singapore (what?!?!) was there.  Larry had it, and said it wasn't as good as Texas, but it was pretty darn good for Singapore.  We also enjoyed a margarita or two...yummm.
Larry and I registered to vote from overseas through the embassy, and we were so happy we had the chance.  That has been on our minds, so to have that taken care of is pretty cool.  I signed us up to have a Naval person over for a home cooked meal, and I am looking forward to that.
We met some fun people, exchanged emails, and enjoyed chatting with fellow americans.  I think I may have finally made some contacts that can lead me to the one thing I haven't had much luck with yet in Sing...the rare and elusive friend (oh, there are a few, but not like my HUGE group in the states)  The party was really fun, and the bands were GREAT. I was blown away at how many Americans were there...naive, I know, but in my little world, I don't have much contact with any. It was so nice to talk to people who are going through the same things we are.  All around us, we could here people sharing stories of selling their houses, where they live now, and were they have visited.  The kids were all so cute too, and there was tons for them to do.  It was a really fun night, and we are even thinking we might join the American Association.
One of the hi-lights for me was the fireworks.  I've always liked them, but it's never been a big deal for me.  I guess you really do appreciate things more when you can't have them.  I wasn't expecting to see any this year, so the fireworks we saw last night were a little bit brighter and sweeter.  Like the sneaky homesick ect. bug, the grateful bug got me good last night.
miss you all, hope Ludington was a blast (despite the crappy weather!)
xoxoxo!

3 comments:

... said...

Hey you -- I'm glad you and Lar at least had some American-style fun, even if the BBQ wasn't Texas quality. :) It sounds like you found a great place to meet some people.

I hope the homesick bug hightails it out of there pronto. But I understand: We miss you too!

Happy belated 4th!

Anonymous said...

hey, how does one get invited to the Ludington gig? I wanna go next year??

Pam said...

who are ya? maybe I can get you in...i know people.