Thursday, February 5, 2009

Guest Blogger!


I'm extremely happy to introduce my guest blogger for February.  Shea Thomas is 10.5 years old, lives in MI, and loves gymnastics, her dog, and Zac Effron.  Her parents, Linda and Kevin rate pretty high too.  I have known Linda for 20 + years, and Shea, well I've known her since she was just a wish.

She's going to be chiming in on the blog from time to time in the next few weeks, as she travels to China with her folks.

Below is her first entry.  I'm fairly certain she's gonna be famous.  Enjoy!
********************************************************

My dad travels all around the world for work. I miss him. We miss him. So mom and I always go visit him in where ever he is.

This time, dad’s going to BeijingChina! Can you believe it?!China! So, guess what that means? Mom and I are going to China, too!

          Dad already left this past Monday, but mom and I are leaving a week from tomorrow. But, of course, we have a few problems, 1, we don’t know any Chinese! 2, what are we going to eat? I don’t usually eat Chinese food, so I don’t know what I’m going to eat! So, that’s why my mom’s good friend, Pam, is taking us to a Chinese dinner!

          At dinner, Pam made me promise to try everything! So I did. Pam and mom ordered a feast! I didn’t know what to say! There was enough food to feed 2 of my dads’ and us! But, I promised to try everything, so I did.

          Our first course was sushi! There were California Rolls and Spider Rolls! (I didn’t try those!) I got to use chopsticks, too! I wasn’t too good at those. And I learned some very important things about chopsticks: 1: Do NOT stab your food with chopsticks. It is very bad to stab your food in China. 2: Do NOT point with chopsticks. It is also very bad and impolite in China. 3: when you are done with your chopsticks, lay them gently across your plate.

          Next, we had a waitress tell us some things that I would like. She said I would like dumplings, noodles, rice, and some chips. So, mom ordered it ALL!!

          Everything was delicious! I learned a lot of things I would have never guessed I couldn’t do in China. I can’t wait to really experience a new adventure in a place I’ve never been, next week! Next Wednesday is when I will truly begin to write about my journey.

Shea Thomas


*this is all Shea, no editing from me....stay tuned, I think this is gonna be GREAT!!

11 comments:

cajunsis said...

Wow Shea! You have an amazing job - following dad around the world and trying new foods! Isn't it amazing you even like them?

You have one of the best teachers in the world - Pam.

Good Luck to you!
Euvah

... said...

How exciting! Enjoy your travels, Shea. I can't wait to read about them. Have fun!

Maureen

rachel said...

Shea I am so happy that you liked the dinner and learned so much! You are a great writer and I can't wait to hear all about your trip (and see pictures!!)
Love Cousin Rachel

Anonymous said...

How delightful. I didn't really expect an update today but I always check Pam's blog. How nice to come across your sub-blog, Shea. I look forward to more.

Tim French said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tim French said...

WOW! What a wonderful story Shea! You know I will be going to visit Pam in Singapore soon. Is there any chance I could get you to buzz on over to Singapore to try the food there first before I get there? If you do this I will buy you one of those "BOUNCE HOUSES" that you can jump around in.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shea

I am Pam's cousin Janet. I LOVED your blog & am EXCITED to read more! The food you tried sounds good to me but I do have to say the BEST part of chinese food is ALMOND COOKIES? I am not sure if those are a real chinese thing or not??
Anyway. KEEP WRITING!!

Janet in MIchigan

Anonymous said...

Hi Shea,
I loved your post. Can't wait for more about your exciting trip to China. Too bad my brother Tim is such a NOB ! Sorry about that. Didn't he offer to buy you one of those bounce houses many years ago? Oh well we can't help who are sibs are! Have a great time in China and write often.

Sue Schuler

Linda T. said...

Tim is pure EVIL!! Besides Shea is 10 now and has moved up from Bouncy houses to Shiny bobbles and convertibles. Sounds like a bouncy house with interest Tim

Anonymous said...

Shea,

I can't believe that you are going to China! Hope you'll be able to post some pix on the blog. I bet you'll be eating sushi by the time you get back.

Uncle Allen in Ohio

Leone Fabre said...

Hi there Shea,

I am a friend of Pam and I live in Singapore too.

It was lovely to read about your adventure in to eating Chinese Food ...... you deserve a GOLD STAR for even trying something new!

Good on you.

I hope you have a lovely time in China and have many wonderful adventures that I will read about too.

Travel safe..... Leone